Etsy

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sunday Dinner in the South


Sunday Dinner in the South

We all know the famous Norman Rockwell painting shown here- the whole family gathered around the table to eat together. Where have those days gone? I remember very well as a child going to my Granny and Grandpa Mills house for Sunday dinner. It was the best food I have still ever put into my mouth. Granny cooked everything on a wood cookstove and I truly believe that added a seasoning that cannot be found in any spice rack today. The house they lived in was over 100 years old and it was make from hand hewn logs. Each room was separate and were all connected by a porch. Each room also had a fireplace to heat with. I can still pull the smell of the house from my memory. Those rooms were even chilly on the hottest July days, except for the kitchen – and it was hot from the wood stove but you did not mind the heat when you had the food going into your belly.

The ladies would cook all morning long preparing for the spread in the early afternoon. The table was long and made from boards that had been smoothed by time. On one side of the table was a long bench that us kids would all gather upon, the adults would get the chairs on the other three sides. Grandpa would sit at the head. The food was plentiful, tenderloin, fried chicken, beef, pinto beans or green beans fresh from the garden, corn, tater salad, fried potatoes with ramps, fried okra, sliced tomatoes (real tomatoes – not those that we have today) onions, chow chow, hot pepper, cornbread with a golden crust, butter, and biscuits. There was fresh cow milk (which I did not care for), tea, or spring water. Pound cakes were always present with a thick homemade chocolate frosting-the kind that was so sweet it would make your teeth hurt or a cobbler of some sort. Oh and there was always a coffee pot on the stove. Those were the days.

I try to keep that tradition alive by having a big meal prepared for my family after church and anyone else that wants to come by. Today was no exception, we had soup beans, ham, pineapple casserole, cornbread and cabbage and of course sweet tea. All that was missing was the wood cookstove and my Granny.

This cabbage was really good- try it sometime

1 head of cabbage cut into bite sized pieces
1 small bottle of Italian dressing

I have a bean pot so this is what I cooked mine in but if you don’t you can put it in a oven proof baking dish with the oven proof lid and cook until done- really delish and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment