Etsy

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


My Mother’s Love

My mother’s love
Has seen me through the best and the worst of times

When Sadie Abernathy laughed and said my eyes were funny,
And I go picked last for kickball again,
And I forgot my only line in the second grade pageant,

My mother’s love enfolded me

When I built a house of cards that stood for twelve minutes,
And I was elected sixth-grade class president,
And I put an airplane model together all by myself,

My mother’s love celebrated with me

When Danielle O’Connor broke my heart,
And I missed the basket that would have clinched the finals,
And our dog Tiger didn’t wake up one morning,

My mother’s love grieved with me

They say that cries for Mother
Can be heard on the battlefield
Long after a war has ended

And I ask you…

Is it any wonder?

The spelling "Mother's Day" was trademarked in 1912 by Mother's Day International Association founder Anna Jarvis, who was very specific about the apostrophe, as she wanted to make sure the day was for each family to honor their specific mothers, not just a broad celebration of all mothers.

Though the modern traditions of the holiday (card and flower gifts) began in the United States, Mother's Day is celebrated throughout the world on a number of different dates.

I never understood the love that my own mom had and has for me until I had my first born. I remember well the night after Erika was born. I was experiencing a number of emotions from her birth. It was only she and I in the room because everyone else had gone home, and as I held my sweet baby girl in my arms and looked into her dark peaceful eyes I suddenly was overcome with how much my mom loved me. I called her at that very moment and thanked her. Our mother’s may not be perfect and might make mistakes but we do too with our own children, so love them with all your heart and cherish the time you have because many are wishing they had their mom’s on this Mother’s Day! Enjoy this tribute to all Mother’s:


Lessons from the Master

Once when Mom was hurting,
I felt all squishy inside
No one told me that moms cry sometimes

I climbed into her lap
And clasped my arms around her neck

Then I patted her back
And whispered that it would be okay
Just like she does when I’m hurting

She must have forgotten how well it works 

Note to God

Mom always tells us that even though
We didn’t grow in her tummy we grew in her heart

That God planned for us to be a family
Long before the world began;
And that our birthmothers were part of that plan too

We were talking it over the other day
And we’ve decided that even though
Mom didn’t grow in our tummies

(We’re still trying to figure out where she did come from)

She must have been growing in our hearts all along
Because no she’s ours forever
And we wouldn’t have it any other way

Note to God: Nice Work!

Everywhere

Up in the attic, opening your boxes
Of war letters
Old Christmas card
And forgotten photos

You’re everywhere

Out in the garden, handling your tools,
Uprooting stubborn weeds,
Raking back the soft earth
And planting some lilacs,

You’re everywhere

Down in the kitchen, following your recipe,
Measuring the spices
Layering the casserole
And setting the timer

You’re everywhere

I reach for the phone to call you
Before remembering ….you’re gone

What you’ve left behind
It a legacy I couldn’t understand before

I understand now

And I’m blessed to day
And so thankful, mom
That even though you’re gone
You’re still right here

You’re everywhere!

All poems written by Steven Layne

No comments:

Post a Comment