Etsy

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Love for a Daughter



Eighteen years ago my life changed with the birth of my daughter Erika. Now I know that is the case with any new mother...life changes or it should because you have been given a priceless gift that requires your devotion. However, Erika required more...and I don't feel bad about that. It was November 15th around 8 in the morning and my water broke- I was a bit nervous because she was not due until December 12th and I was not ready but guess what ...ready or not here Erika came. I was in labor for 18 hours and it was not bad at all-and I had her without and epidural. I had a normal pregnancy with no problems and no one knew that she had down syndrome- I was only 24 so I did not have the risk factors usually associated with having a downs baby.

The minute she was born she did not cry, she just looked around and when they placed her into my arms and I looked into those pools of dark brown- I knew she was special. I did not know at the time that she did not have the energy to cry - her little heart would not let her. Of course I was heart broken- I knew what children with disabilities went through- I had no idea what she would be able to do. Again, I was heartbroken. I wanted my daughter to have the future I had always imagined and I knew that was not going to be the case.

We went home after 2 days in the hospital and I still was unaware of any heart defect. I took her back to the dr. to confirm the downs diagnosis and that is when the doctor discovered her heart condition- WOW! the next 3 months were a whirlwind of emotions. Long story short : Erika was 6 lbs 2 oz when she was born and at 3 months she was only 7 lbs - she was not thriving and needed open heart surgery or she would not live. Once again my heart was broken but I no longer felt sorry for myself for having a downs baby- I prayed to God that he would save my baby.

We spent several weeks at Duke University and they did an amazing job with Erika- her heart was repaired. Now you see why I have to be a Duke fan!

The next few years of her life were hard- she was sick alot with respiratory issue and in and out of the hospital but she grew stronger each year. School was hard - I had to fight for her a few times but it was worth it. She has meant so much to the kids at school that have known her- and I have had many people say - they think her class is more empathic because they have known Erika.

Having said all this - I just wanted to share that this precious precious child went to her Junior prom last night and was beautiful...the heart that would not let her stay awake long enough to drink her bottle when she was a baby... allowed her to dance 2 straight hours last night.

She danced like no one was watching...and did not care what others thought...she did not postpone joy...and lit up the room with her presence.

What a journey!!!!and I look forward to more!

No comments:

Post a Comment