Etsy

Monday, August 16, 2010

Back to School Dinner ideas

It has been a while and I must admit I sure have missed doing this blog. I love sharing ideas and all the while creating a memory for my kids. So today I have two great recipes to share with you and photos of my other than cooking creative outlet.




The recipes are two that I have tested and they are delish. I am sharing them not only because they are so good and easy to make but also because they freeze well. With school beginning back, I always look for good tasting and good quality foods that I can fix for my family after a day at school for all of us. I do not have a photograph of these recipes but I highly recommend that you try them.





Brown Sugar Meatloaf



• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar

• 1/2 cup ketchup

• 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef

• 3/4 cup milk

• 2 eggs

• 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

• 1 small onion, chopped

• 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

• 3/4 cup finely crushed saltine cracker crumbs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.

2. Combine all ingredients and place in loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.

If you are freezing it – cool in pan and then remove and wrap in clear plastic wrap- then foil and freeze

When serving – allow to thaw – place back in loaf pan and heat through at 350 – combine ketchup and sweet baby rays raspberry chipotle barbeque sauce and top meatloaf – bake for additional 10 minutes- really good



I like to do this when I find ground beef on sale and double the recipe



King Ranch Chicken Casserole

1 lg onion chopped

1 lg green bell pepper chopped

2 cups chopped cooked chicken

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can diced tomato and green chilies

1 tsp chili powder

½ tsp black pepper

½ tsp garlic powder

12 6-in corn tortillas

1 8 oz block cheddar cheese shredded



Sauté onion and pepper until tender

Stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients-remove from heat

Tear tortillas into 1 inch pieces, layer one third of tortilla pieces in 13 x 9 pan coated with spray- top with one-third chicken mixture and one-third of cheese- repeat layers twice

If freezing – wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer

Allow to thaw- bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until bubbly

With the King Ranch Chicken Casserole I serve refried beans topped with salsa and cheese, I also serve yellow rice with cheese melted on top and sprinkled with fresh cucumber and tomatoes. I highly recommend a rice cooker- I bought mine for 13.00 (Black and Decker) Great for doing rice – put in all ingredients and let it cook for about 20 minutes

For the meatloaf – I bake small potatoes the night before and then slice them in half top with real bacon bits and cheese – pop them into the oven while the meatloaf is cooking – very delish. I also serve sugar snap peas that you can steam in the bag – open them up and sprinkle some real bacon bits on them.

Both of these meals taste great and feed a family – they do not cost lots of money – and can be fixed quickly after a long day.














No comments:

Post a Comment