Etsy

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not as easy as Taco Bell but much better !!!!!


Tonight was Taco Night!!!!! They were delicious and tacos are not my favorite in the Mexican food genre, mainly because they are so messy to eat. However, as you have read in the previous post- I am getting home late this week and need recipes that are quick. This is how it went. I came home at 6:30 and took out the prepared ground beef from Sunday- added the taco seasoning and heated through- once again Gregg got the call ahead to put the refried beans in the oven- I had put the yellow rice in the rice cooker (which is a great tool) purchased from Wal-Mart –Black and Decker for around $14.00. Anyway back to cooking the rice – I put it on as I was getting ready this morning. It was done by the time I was ready to leave (nice). So I had the beans ready for salsa (which I had canned over the summer) and cheese. I topped the rice with cheese and fresh cucumber, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. All done in 30 minutes. It was really delicious and we had leftover for lunch the next day.

I quickly popped spaghetti noodles in a pot of water and put the remaining ground beef into a pot with the sauce. These cooked while we were eating dinner. As soon as dinner was over, the guys cleaned the table and I assembled the spaghetti done lasagna way. I also chopped the remaining lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes and made a big salad. Dinner for tomorrow night ¾ of the way complete. I still had a few minutes before American Idol was to be on so I made a chocolate cream pie – easy – but goooooood.

The last thing I did was put chicken breast (with bones and skin) into the crock pot to cook over night. This will be used for the chicken salad on Friday. I use these types of chicken breasts because the cuts are usually cheaper than the skinless/boneless and because the bones and skin add flavor to the meat- this is the way to go if you are going to be using the breasts in soups or salads.

Recipes

Spaghetti done lasagna way

Spaghetti noodles
16 oz cottage cheese – large curd
8 oz shredded Italian cheese
2 tablespoons of butter
Ground beef
Sauce of your choice
Sliced mozzarella cheese

Cook noodles and drain- combine cottage cheese and shredded cheese with butter-mix well
Pour into greased 13 x 9 pan
Top with ground beef and sauce mixture

Bake 350 for 25-30 minutes and take out top with mozzarella cheese slices and put back into oven into melted and bubbly


Chocolate cream pie

Chocolate pie filling
Cool whip
Pie crust of choice (graham, shortbread, or regular)
Spoon ½ of pie filling into crust
Mix remaining pie filling with ½ cool whip until creamy
Pour over 1st layer
Top with remaining cool whip and store in fridge

No comments:

Post a Comment