Etsy

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Steamy Windows and a Warm Kitchen



When I was growing up on East Cope Creek most nights our dinner table was filled with beans and cornbread. Pinto beans, green beans, shucky beans (leather britches) were the choices just depended on what was available to fix. We would also have potatoes in some fashion, stewed, fried, or baked. Meat was only served a couple of times a week. We didn’t have convenience foods on hand and we rarely went out to eat and when I say rarely I mean maybe three times a year. We just did not have that kind of money, but we did always have food and a warm house. These were two things my parents made sure of. I remember learning to cook “different” types of food in Home Ec. I was so excited not to be cooking beans, cornbread and potatoes. I continued to broaden my cooking experience, trying new things. Funny but my mom never really cared for the new things I was learning to cook. My Daddy liked everything but he is a BIG eater.

So many years have passed since those high school Home Ec. Days and I have learned to make many, many different foods and have even developed my own recipes but on cold, rainy days there is nothing I want more than a big crock pot of mixed beans and cornbread. When my kitchen windows steam over from the warmth of the inside against the cold of the outside-I am that young girl again in my momma’s kitchen coming home after a long day at school knowing my mom loves me and is doing the very best she knows how.

No comments:

Post a Comment