Etsy

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Snow Day Dinner






Oh my have you looked outside - how beautiful- the snow is really coming down. As my Momma always said when I was little, "the old woman is plucking her geese". That is exactly what it looked like earlier, snowflakes as big and fluffy as feathers. Days like this just scream Comfort Food- So I have made a wonderful Pot Roast. I did the prep work last night and cooked it overnight in the crock pot. Now I must say that I am not a huge fan of the crock pot just because I think it leaves food with a different texture than fresh cooked food. However, the crockpot is great for working mothers- or if you don't want to watch an oven all day.

This is a simple roast but full of flavor:

I use a boneless chuck roast - I pay around 10 - 13 dollars for them
put a tablespoon of oil in a pot- heat - salt and pepper roast on all sides- brown roast on all sides and place in crock pot

clean carrots and cut into large chunks, peel and quarter 2 - 3 onions-place carrots and onions in pot that you browned roast in and put a sear on them- pour over roast - pour beef stock -about 1 cup - into browning pan and deglaze pot- getting all that flavor out- pour over roast- pour more beef broth until veggies are covered.
cook over night on low-I like to pour about 3/4 cup of bbq sauce (smoky one) over roast just before serving - I like the flavor- believe me it really does not act as a bbq sauce more like a steak sauce - so it is great with the roast- also good with creamy horseradish sauce

Lemon Pie
(quick and delish dessert)
I use the shortbread crusts (like it better than the graham cracker ones)
1 can of lemon pie filling
1 container of cool whip

spoon about 1/2 cup of lemon pie filling in bottom of crust
mix the rest of the lemon pie filling with 1/2 coolwhip place on top of lemon layer
cover with remaining coolwhip and freeze slightly

No comments:

Post a Comment